Hallo?? How to reach us:
home phone: (206)-922-2319
address: Meckenheimer Allee 145 | 53115 Bonn, Germany


Thursday, October 21, 2010

The German Medical System...From the Inside

I am happy to be writing this post from the comfort of our living room after spending Montag through Mittwoch (Monday - Wednesday) in the Krankenhaus (hospital). Surgery was Monday morning, and I am now the proud owner of a bionic collarbone!

You can see the seven screws holding it in place...this baby won't be going anywhere! I learned that collar bones heal more slowly than any other bone in the body, so they want me to keep the plate in for at least 18 months, if not the rest of my life. We'll see, if I go pro in cycling I may not want that extra weight slowing me down!

The contrast between German and American medical practices and processes is very interesting, at times awkward, and always entertaining. For example, on Monday after I've checked in for surgery, I'm shown to my recovery room on the second floor. There are 3 beds in there, and I'm the third patient in the room. The guy by the window is getting ready to check out (I'm told) and the guy near the door and our shared bathroom is laying there with a bag of plasma dripping into his IV. I'm shown which locker is mine to stash my clothes, then promptly asked to remove my shirt so the nurse can shave my chest and armpit for surgery. Awesome. I'm fairly sure in the US I would have at least had a curtain enclosing my bed while they prepped me, and in my past surgeries all my pre-op stuff was done in my own room.

And then there's the sponge baths for the less mobile patients (guy with plasma had a new hip put in, not real mobile at the moment), that are given immediately after breakfast is delivered. (I'll get back to meals in a sec). So there I am, sitting in my bed munching on some rye bread, sipping my coffee, and watching the nurses cleaning my roommate's surgery site. I won't go into too much detail, but let's just say I had to leave the room and continue my meal in the visitor waiting area...

So, food. I experienced my first traditional German breakfast in the krankenhaus. How fitting. Day 1: Nurse lifts the cover off my tray. I see a roll (good), butter, jam (better), some rye bread and sliced cheese (ok...) and...what the hell is that??!! Some sort of sliced bologne looking stuff with scattered olive green things all through it. The nurse sees my look of horror, and tells me how awesome the stuff is. Uh huh.. goes great with soapy water, lots of stiches, and a side of old man butt crack. I asked if they had eggs. They said yes. Day 2: tray removed showing me a roll, jam, rye bread, cheese...and a hard boiled egg. I really miss IHOP right now.

At some point during Monday night a new roommate joined us (bed near the window). Turns out he was crazy. Really. He was old and had dementia, which is actually sad. But in the middle of the night, when the morphine pills and IV of pain killers were still not enough to smother the pain or at least knock me out, the last thing I had sympathy for was the crazy guy next to me who moved his legs back and forth all night, scratched uncontrollably, and then fell asleep, only to stop breathing and wake up gasping every 10 seconds. I found myself wishing he would just not wake up. Believe me, in the morning when I realized his issues I felt horrible, but I'm sure you know how it is when all you want is a couple hours of sleep!!

After some more xrays, some range of motion checks, and getting my infamous "pink paper" signed by the doctor, I checked out Wednesday morning and walked home. Just 2 days after the surgery and I'm already feeling so much better, and so much less pain, than last week. It's awesome! Doc says I can start exercising soon, but can't lift anything too heavy for about two months. Luckily Reed shouldn't be hitting double digits until the new year, so I'll be more than able to haul him around.

Through all this Makayla was great, even when she had the stomach flu (Monday night - Tuesday) she was really just worried about me, and feeling bad that she couldn't be with me at the hospital. I assured her I was perfectly happy with my roommates, rye bread, and mystery meat. We're quite the pair right now!

Late breaking baby update: We met with the doctor today at our hospital and have scheduled a c-section for November 15th, on the assumption that Junior will continue to be uncooperative and keep his head upright. Sarah, we've done our best to maintain a healthy margin between his birthday and Thanksgiving. This should hopefully minimize the number of pumpkin pie birthday cakes, and gravy boat presents that Reed receives...

From Bonn.....
Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment